15 miles - One HUMID Run

So like I said yesterday, I felt as though this long run from this past weekend deserved a post all it's own. It felt like a terrible run, although the pace that I completed it does not necessary lend itself to being seen that way. In reality, if you look at my average pace over the duration of the run, you will think, wow. She nailed her long run goal pace. And yes, I did, however it was NOT pretty. Not even a little.

I got up right around 5:45. That is what time I normally get up on Saturdays for our 7 am run group. However, since I was just staying at home to run, I was planning on being out the door by 6:30. However, I started to hear some stirring in the house, and I figured I better get out before I got stuck.

I wore one of my cooler outfits out, a tank, my charcoal strappy, the mac roga short, and an old version of the go long tank (current version). I also had my garmin, my handheld waterbottle, and a visor. According to the news, the humidity was already at around 98%, and the temp was hovering around 75. Not the most fun weather to attempt a 15-20 mile long run in. I just set that expectation going in. 15-20 miles, that way I wouldn't degrade myself for not making 20 (spoiler alert - I did anyway.) I figured I would run somewhere between 12 and 15 miles, then swing back home for Megan, my cousin who was staying at my house for the weekend. I figured she would be in for 3-5 miles, which would put me in my goal range.

So at about 5 minutes after 6, I headed out my front door and started running. It was still dark-ish when I started, so I planned to be cautious in the early miles. Not that I was not going to be cautious for the entire run, but I knew that I was going to have to be on the lookout for cars throughout the run. It was already very hot and I was sweating almost immediately. I hadn't planned an official route, but I figured I would just head out and see where I ended up with various miles, and just add on as necessary.

Mile 1: 9:20

Ugh, after that first mile, I was definitely feeling nervous. I was already sweating, and it was hard, and it hurt. All of the best (ha!) things about running were hitting me in the first 10 minutes of the run. Luckily as I went through Inverness and Royal Troon (the names of parts of our subdivision) into Turnberry, things started looking up.

Mile 2: 9:04
Mile 3: 8:51

I spent a good amount of time in Turnberry, running on streets I had not been on previously. I honestly discovered new parts of that subdivision that I was not previously aware of. I suppose that is part of the fun of running in a new-ish neighborhood. I am still not totally familiar with where I live, which is why I stuck to this part of it. I am not sure where there is sidewalk (or a decent shoulder) on busy roads, so I didn't want to go too far away.

Mile 4: 8:52
Mile 5: 8:47
Mile 6: 8:36
Mile 7: 8:45

At 6.25, I stopped and had my first bit of fuel. I had 3 shot blocks, which I stored in my handheld's pouch. I have been using that for long runs, and it has been pretty great. I actually stopped, as opposed to eating them on the run, figuring it was worth it to have a chance to wipe down my sweat and catch my breath a little bit. I was still back in Turnberry, but getting ready to come out of it and continue along my run. I tentatively planned out in my head where I was going to head next before I kept running, doing a few short laps of Royal Troon (about a half mile) before heading out to 10 Mile, where I planned to continue.

Mile 8: 8:47
Mile 9: 8:35
Mile 10: 8:52

Miles 9 & 10 were tough. The road I was on is a road I had not run on before that I was not entirely familiar with. Honestly, I was not sure what to expect, as I had driven on that particular section only a few times. And obviously, driving on it is a bit different than running on it. Like the rollers, I had definitely forgotten about how the road rolled. I stopped right around mile 10 at a park to refill my water bottle and do a quick stretch of the hammies before continuing. It was insanely hot. The sun was well above grade by this point, and sweat was pouring off my body. My garmin is one with a bezel and I had to lock it because flying sweat droplets were causing it to react.

Mile 11 consisted of an out and back on a road in my subdivision that I had not every driven down (or run down). And it was a long and terrible hill. In the grad scheme of things, it was not too much of an elevation change - say compared to the Flying Pig - however, it was big enough and quick! As I was coming back up the hill, a man who was out with his dog yelled "The hill will make you a stronger runner!" If I had any more energy, I might have shown him a certain finger to let him know how I was feeling about becoming a stronger runner, but once I got to the top, I was over it and I knew he was right. Mile 12 took me back to my house. And with as hot as I was, I knew I was picking up Megan then, and not continuing solo.

Mile 11: 8:31
Mile 12: 8:46

Megan told me she just wanted to do three miles, so I told her we were just going to run until 1.5 miles, then turn around and come back. She agreed.

Mile 13: 8:47

Megan told me that was a little fast for her, so I let her lead the pace for the next mile.

Mile 14: 9:27

She was done. It was too hot, too humid, and she had enough. So I told her just to keep following me, but I needed that one more mile.

Mile 15: 8:52

And I was done. Spent. Wanted to lay down on the cold floor in my house (note: need to find a cold floor in my house) and just stay there for the rest of the day.

15 total miles @ 8:52 average. And I am DONE.


Popular Posts