The End...

Well, 27 weeks and 5 days, it is no record but it is not bad. That is how pregnant I was when I went for my last run before the baby came. I thought I was going to make it further, honestly. I had come to terms with limiting myself to 10 minute/miles. That was my new plan. Take it much easier, but keep going.

Everything changed for me yesterday. Yesterday made the next 12 weeks turn upside down.

I had plans for a 2 mile warmup followed by a 5k at approximately a 9:30 pace.  I had signed up for the Butterfly 5k which is a very family friendly race with dogs and strollers. I figured with that kind of crowd, keeping my pace casual should not be an issue. I arrived up there with plenty of time to get my first few miles in, plus get my bib and chip before the race. I jogged an easy 2, as planned, and felt pretty good. Karen got there as I was picking up my chip, so I hung with her, her friend who was visiting from DC and Bradley until the race.

The race started out perfectly with my pace as planned. I started out feeling great. I was happy with the start. And then, two miles in...

A pothole snuck up on me. My right foot landed in the pothole, my ankle twisted, and down I went.

Someone helped me to my feet and I knew that my race was over. My knee and ankle were hurting. And I was worried about the baby. I helped myself off the road onto the sidewalk to sit down and gather my bearings. I just hung out for a few minutes before I decided I was going to get up and walk back to my car. When I went to stand up, I knew that I was going to have to push myself up a little bit because of the knee and ankle pain. I put my hands on the sidewalk and my right elbow gave...

But I got myself up, and headed for the car. I was already feeling down about not finishing. I was, of course worried about Addison and the fact that I had just fallen all over the place. But I didn't want to make myself feel even worse before I knew what happened. So I got in my car and headed home. I was in pain. I was crying. And I was definitely considering the emergency room at this point. I was scared and struggling to drive because my right arm was hurting when it was in differing positions.

When I got home, J reacted pretty much how I expected him to. Mad at me for risking the baby's life by running. Now you must understand that I am doing the right thing for me, my body, and my baby. And anyone, pregnant or not, could've fallen on that pothole. It just happened to be me.

Eventually he talked me into going to urgent care. I spent a long time convincing myself that I was just bruised. At that point, Addie had been moving around, there was no cramping or bleeding, and so I felt better about that. We waited a while to go back, which I assume is normal (I have never been to urgent care before), and at first they just did the normal things. Temperature, heart rate, blood pressure... all came back perfectly.

But my xray... elbow is broken. It is quite an interesting and abnormal break from my understanding. I am just in a soft cast now, I am going to see an orthopedic doctor in the morning. We are pretty sure surgery is coming... I will keep you in the loop.


Popular Posts