Guilt + Hills = Tough Run

I woke up in the middle of the night with definite tummy troubles.  J and I went out for Mexican yesterday and it was having a profound affect on me.  I guess I kind of enjoy the fact that my body lets me know when it hates what I give it!  And last night, it definitely was hating the Mexican! 

Because of the tummy troubles, I definitely did not feel that running was going to be a good plan.  I mean, running can definitely cause some troubles at times, and since I already was having them, I turned my alarm off.  I woke up around 6 and took care of the dogs with no run.  Ugh.  Already my brain was in guilt mode.

Oats for breakfast (with my fave added protein!)  and an iced coffee made in the keurig did nothing to make my guilt go away, however, they did help with the tummy settling and I brought my gear for a lunchtime run. 

I have been avoiding the lunchtime run as it is already getting to be ungodly hot around here despite the "June" factor.  But today it was supposed to stay pretty nice (before getting ridiculous tomorrow through the weekend) so I was hoping that I might feel better for the afternoon run outdoors.

At 11:30 am I locked up my laptop and grabbed my clothes to head to our in office locker room to get ready.  In reality, it is a big bathroom with shower stalls instead of toilet stalls, but I will take it, because not too many places of employment offer that even.  I got dressed and started the garmin so it could find me.  I didn't really have any planned run.  This is normally a tempo day though, for me, so I figured I would go for that.

I went left out of the office instead of right and ran my first mile in 8:38.  Mile 2 ended up around 8:05.  I was more running by feel than with a certain time in mind, so I decided to just go with it.  Run by feel.  Make it just a little bit uncomfortable, the way a tempo run is supposed to be.  And then I was greeted by a MAMMOTH uphill.  I  haven't synced my garmin yet, so I am not 100% on the elevation yet.  Suffice to say it was the entirety of mile 3, so that ended up being around 9:14.  That was when I made the decision to try and keep up hills around 9 and the rest faster (8:20-ish?). 

I ended up with two more steep hills that were not as long before the course flattened out to head back to the office.  I ended up with 6 total miles in 51:59.  That's an average of 8:38.  Pretty darn good, if I do say so myself!  Not sure I will be running that course again any time soon though!


Popular Posts